The following is a brief description and several photos of the Conveyance and Reclamation Pipelines Project of work/activities performed for the week ending 03/26/2016.
Work/Activities Performed Last Week:
- 19+39: COMPLETE
- 82+19: COMPLETE
- 88+25: COMPLETE
- 91+88: COMPLETE
- 105+45: COMPLETE
- 142+47: COMPLETE
- 10+14: COMPLETE
- 15+81: COMPLETE
- 19+55: COMPLETE
- 32+90: COMPLETE
- 73+82: COMPLETE
- 76+94: COMPLETE
- 86+93: COMPLETE
- 94+13: Excavated and exposed pipe. Removed existing pipe. Fused new couplings. Backfilled. COMPLETE
- 97+83: Excavated and exposed pipe. Removed existing pipe. Fused new couplings. Backfilled. COMPLETE
- 101+86: Excavated and exposed pipe. Removed existing pipe. Fused new couplings. Backfilled. COMPLETE
- 132+21: COMPLETE
- 142+68: COMPLETE
- 144+30: COMPLETE
- 169+44: COMPLETE
- 176+16: COMPLETE
- 182+72: COMPLETE
- 194+39: Excavated and exposed pipe. Setup SWPPP. Fused new couplings. Slurry backfill. Backfilled. COMPLETE
- 195+47: Excavated and exposed pipe. Setup shoring. Unbolted vault. Fused new couplings. Backfilled. COMPLETE
- 17+59: COMPLETE
- 20+55: COMPLETE
- 39+00: Excavated and exposed pipe. Installed shoring. Removed existing saddle. Fused new couplings. Backfilled. COMPLETE
- 55+73: COMPLETE
- 66+55: COMPLETE
- 49+78: COMPLETE
- 64+03: Excavated and exposed pipe. Removed existing saddle. Fused new couplings. Backfilled. COMPLETE
- 66+56: Excavated and exposed pipe. Removed existing saddle. Fused new couplings. Backfilled. COMPLETE
- 77+08: Excavated and exposed pipe. Removed existing saddle. Fused new couplings. Backfilled. COMPLETE
- 80+34: Excavated and exposed pipe. Removed existing saddle. Fused new couplings. Backfilled. COMPLETE
- 86+60: COMPLETE
- 90+07: COMPLETE
- 96+91: COMPLETE
- 101+31: COMPLETE
- 118+99: COMPLETE
- 125+33: COMPLETE
- 137+43: COMPLETE.
- 142+00: Excavated and exposed pipe. Removed existing saddle. Fused new couplings. Slurry backfill.
- 154+96: COMPLETE
- 175+88: COMPLETE
- 181+86: COMPLETE
- 191+33: COMPLETE
- 204+48: COMPLETE
- 209+17: COMPLETE
- 218+16: COMPLETE
- 220+36: COMPLETE
- 222+79: COMPLETE
- 224+96: COMPLETE
- 227+31: COMPLETE
- 228+98: COMPLETE
- 246+83: COMPLETE
- 248+94: COMPLETE
- 253+47: COMPLETE
- 255+80: COMPLETE
- Checked appurtenances and started to fill the mainline with test water between SMD1 and Reach 4 Iso Valve. Rados passed the hydrostatic test of this section on 3/22/16.
- Rados started filling the rest of the line from SMD1 as well as a pump placed on the NID canal at Sta. 39+00 on Chili Hill Road.
- No work was done in this area.
Work Schedule to be performed this coming week:
- Hydrostatic testing the pipeline.
Pipeline Construction Update- Saddle Connection Replacement Process- February 2016
Construction activities on the Regional Sewer Pipeline reached basic completion in late December 2015. The pipeline has been installed over its entire 13.5 mile length from Highway 193 to the SMD-1 Wastewater Treatment Plant on Joeger Road near Highway 49. During quality control testing of the pipeline in September and October of 2015, several of the saddle connections to the pipeline failed, which required additional field investigation and evaluation of reliability of the saddle system. The saddles are an attachment made to the main pipeline using an electrofusion process, where heating elements in the saddle attachments provide bonding to the high density polyethylene (HDPE) pipe, and provide for ancillary control components, such as vacuum breakers and low point drains. Follow up investigation of the cause of failure was limited to pressurizing the entire pipe system. Upon full evaluation of the operating and design criteria of the pipeline, the Project Team concluded that the long term reliability of the electrofusion saddle system does not meet the failsafe operational criteria of the pipeline, and a decision has been made to remove all 68 saddles, and replace them with factory manufactured T’s that are produced under factory quality control and testing, which is conducted at pressures substantially above pressures available for testing in the field, and significantly above the pipeline maximum pressure.
The Pipeline Contractor, Steve P. Rados, Inc. (SPR) will be commencing installation of the factory replacement T’s in early February 2016, with the field installation to be complete in May of 2016. Final road restorations and site clean-up along the pipeline route will follow the construction activities, and be coordinated with Placer County Department of Public Works. Final roadway restoration will be accomplished during the summer of 2016 in conjunction with other County road maintenance and rehabilitation programs.
The Regional Sewer System will be placed into service during June of 2016 with the final decommissioning, demolition, and construction activities at the SMD-1 Sewer Treatment Plant complete by the end of August of 2016.
Replacement of the saddle fittings will be much less intrusive in the roadway than the general construction of the past year. Every effort will be made to maintain open through traffic during construction periods. The projected duration of activity at any one individual location is anticipated to be between 3 and 5 days.
If you have any further questions or inquiries, please consult the Project website, www.regionalsewer.org or contact the Project Resident Engineer, Mr. Jack Harbour at 530-601-3551.